- I have had insomnia since Tuesday night. I have had the Aviva hold music on loop in my head pretty much all this time. It’s my first prolonged bout of insomnia and I’m not a fan. Everything feels pretty overwhelming.
- Work has suddenly got very, very busy - I’m working on 2, possibly 3 stories, plus I’ve got a weird analytics bug I’m investigating and I’m also going to be project managing and tech leading the apprenticeship project of the person I line manage which is about to kick off. One of the stories I’m working on had other developers on too until last week when they both had to leave (one to go on a course, the other had been on a “bootcamp” with us and return to his home team), which meant that all of that project has fallen on me, but I had a really nice time with it last week - it’s been nice to be really productive with front end code, I got loads done and I also found a really nice solution for something the team wanted to do, involving CSS clip-path.
- I finished The Last White Man and am now reading Misery by Stephen King, it’s good. I am listening to The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy and have definitely not been listening enough to have any real clue what’s going on.
- We started watching Fleishman is in Trouble after I finished the audiobook a few weeks ago. I didn’t even like the book that much but I will watch Claire Danes in most things. Likewise, although I didn’t realise she was in the show until we started watching, Lizzy Caplan, who is entirely charming making the whole thing bareable (watch Party Down if you haven’t already). Less so Jesse Eisenberg, who we’re finding it hard to stomach. It was very surreal seeing Adam Brody looking old. Speaking of which I think the actors in this show might be at an age where they needed seperate actors to play them in college?! They all look hilarious in the college scenes - old people with weird haircuts.
- We watched The Stranger on Netflix last night. I really liked it - some strong performances, and it was very tense and intense. There were a few mini jump scares - I don’t know if you could really even call them that, just unexpected loud noises or visual switches - and I was embarrassed by how much I reacted each time. All this horror might not be great for the insomnia…