- No promotion for Emma, although I’ve been given a pay rise. I feel pretty depressed about it TBH. I started at the FT at a much lower level than my experience and expertise primarily because I was very unwell at the time and wanted to know I could do the job in my sleep, and also because I very much believed (naively?) that once I got settled in and was doing well and my experience shone through that would be recognised. Sadly the formal recognition hasn’t come and I feel really disappointed about it. I also hate that it’s bothering me so much - I feel very bratty complaining, but it feels unjust and when I’ve sacrified many other elements of life just to manage to keep working it feels hard to not be recognised at the level that I know I’m at.
- In much nicer news I saw a kingfisher for the first time ever. It didn’t stick around but it was unmistakable and magnificent.
- After 3 months of a very strict diet I’ve had some slightly better blood tests and I’m trying to feel a bit proud about that.
- To help with my low mood I’ve been watching Happy Valley (lol). I’ll probably continue to binge the whole thing over the next couple of days. Sarah Lancashire is amazing and I went to university with James Norton - he was friends with the girl who lived next door to me - so it’s always fun to see him in things. I’m struggling a bit to see what all the fuss is about with the series so far though.
- We finished Extraordinary and it was alright? I feel like there were fun bits but also it didn’t live up to its potential. There was a sideline vigilante plot which felt entirely pointless and had no pay off whatsoever.
- Ducks was amazing, Persuasion was a lovely comfort although I struggled to concentrate. I’ve started The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, although again struggling to read much/concentrate and not getting into it so far.